Thursday, 28 March 2013

Reflection 2 - Food technology


Yummy cup cakes

I have a recipe for making individual 1 minute cupcake for children. One day I facilitated this activity with the children at my centre. I made placards with the measurements and pictures, and kept it on the table along with the ingredients. I noticed the interest of the children when they gathered around the table. Each of them started to mix the ingredients enthusiastically. I explained the textures of each items and how it turns into batter when they mix it. We brought the microwave down and when each cake was ready to bake, the children baked in the microwave by themselves. They watched with wonder and awe while the batter turned into solid, rose because of baking powder, and changed into cup shape. I recognised their interest in this food technology when more children joined this activity. They were excited when each of them got to eat their own product with the morning tea. They were thrilled to do all the procedures themselves by following the recipe, especially when they got the result immediately. The children experienced “how materials are formed, manipulated, and transformed in different ways, depending on their properties, and understand the role of material evaluation in determining suitability for use in product development” (The New Zealand Curriculum, 2007, P. 80) by hand-on learning.

Since the children were pre-schoolers, they were able to grasp the instructions quickly. To help their reading, I drew pictures too in the placard. They developed some of the technology and resources for mathematics, science and reading (Ministry of Education, 1996). Using this process cooking technology, children were encouraged to choose the colour and flavour, make their individual cakes and evaluate their work by seeing and eating it. They followed the entire process of cooking by reading and following the placards displayed. This experience met their learning needs. They used their knowledge about processes and problem solving by turn taking and the procedure of cake making. They learned  science: by watching the ingredients that turn from powder – liquid – semisolid – solid and augmented, and by feeling the hot cakes becoming cooler in minutes; language by reading and following the mini recipe, and talking to me and with each other; Mathematics by counting and measuring. They used physical skills by mixing; social-emotional skills by socialising in the group. They cleverly used the resources provided by adding one by one and mixing all along (Smorti, 1999). They also learned how to operate microwave oven (Digital technology).

As Indigenous theories of development say, this activity encouraged the children to have a positive attitude towards work to ensure the growth and well-being of their family. They learned through practical experiences by following my guidance. They also followed tuakana teina learning method by following the child who is in front of the line and coping accordingly (Manukau Institute of Technology, 2011).

I like cooking and I enjoy doing it with children whenever I get a chance. I knew food making is a technology, if we use microwave oven, stove or electric oven, but I didn’t know that the process is also a technology until I read it in Smorti (1999). The reading says “process cooking is a technological activity or system, developed, used and adapted by early childhood services to meet children’s learning needs” (p. 6). Through this activity I realized that “food technology is an appropriate way to introduce technology to children because food is a necessary part of human life in all cultures” (Fleer & Jane, 2011, p. 180). Since cake is a common food in every culture which is liked especially by children, almost all of them participated.  I will make a point to teach the children food technology incorporated with safe storage in containers (materials technology), cold recipes, and healthy eating recipes at my centre (Green, 2001). 

 



1 min. cake recipe
3 teaspoon full self-rising flour
1 tsp cocoa powder
3 tsp milk
3 tsp sugar
3 tsp egg
1tsp oil
Sprinkler or chocolate chips  
Mix one by one and pour it in a paper cup and microwave.


References 

Green, R. (2001). Teaching technology in the junior school: Book B. Christchurch, New Zealand: User Friendly Resource Enterprises Ltd.

Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia.

Manukau Institute of Technology. School of Foundation Studies. (2011, Semester One). Holistic development [Handout]. Manukau City, New Zealand: Author.

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki matauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum .Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10

4 comments:

  1. Wow Judy! you really did influence me with this food technology. Whilst reading the beginning I still had my doubts about how food can be considered as technology, however you proved me wrong when backing your information up from Smorti reading. I enjoyed reading this reflection because I am a food lover. I believe that cooking and baking with children is such a fun activity where children not only learn how to bake, but they also learn the importance of working together with other children as well as being able to recognise different shapes, sizes and numbers throughout the process. Moreover you are also teaching children about measurement, pouring, weighing, whisking, as well as other baking techniques. Also, it teaches children the importance of good nutrition. Maybe next time you can encourage children to taste new foods to develop their taste buds. I also agree with your reflection where you state that children learn and are interested when size texture changes when baked, As Finke (2010) quotes, "baking with children can channel the child's natural curiosity as many foods or fruits change in colour, size texture when baked" (Julia Finke, 2010, Paragraph 1, website site).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judy, for inspiring me to use food technology with young children. Once again you showed your passion for cooking and how much fun you and the children had together. It was great to see you backed up your reflection with Smorti’s reading. You have described the whole process very well and how it was made easy for the children with placards. As I am with toddlers I have tried making play dough with them but I feel a bit of risk to bake cakes, but I think if I break it down in simple steps like you have it will be easy. As you have talked before about your passion for baking I am sure you will engage more and more with children through this medium. And now that you are aware of this as a technological process, it will encourage you to talk about process cooking as a technology more confidently. As Smort, (1999) states, “while using process approach to technology in early childhood it is the `doing that is important, rather than the `product’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy you are so inventive aren’t you. You are always in a search of new experiences that helps in enhancing children’s learning. It was good to see you encouraging children making their own individual cake by providing them with the recipe card and ingredients. This helped children develop a sense of selfworth,confidence ,competent and accomplishment as they did the task all by themselves and individually.(Ministry of Education,1996) You also choose a safe cooking device such as microwave which any one could use it without any fear or hazards. These helped children to participate in the activity without any fear. It is good to see you develop an understanding of food as a technology that has a creative process .you proved this by creating cooking cards with instructions,ingredients,and equipment’s that have to be used in making a cake rather than just children what to do and using the microwave as a technological device. Well done keep up with your inventions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking with young children is one of my favourite teaching strategies. It is easy for children to recognise how the ingredients get together and work during the process of baking. I had chosen baking cupcakes with children for my creativity project assignment last year. This is the evidence that the children in my project team were able to learn through baking in all domains such as the social, mathematical, scientific, linguistic, and technological. I especially liked Judy's idea that used 1 minute cupcake with microwave oven recipe. I did my creativity project with 4 year old children but this 1 minute cupcake recipe will apply for even younger children I believe. They will be able to get a quick result from it.
    I suggest you make jelly with the children next time to contrast using the fridge with using the microwave. You can explain what happens to the ingredients during the process both in the microwave and the fridge.

    ReplyDelete